Saturday, October 25, 2008

Blind Sorrow by Ella Wheeler Wilcox

One bitter time of mourning, I remember,When day, and night, my sad heart did complain,My life, I said, was one cold, bleak December,And all its pleasures, were but whited pain.

Nothing could rouse me from sullen sorrow,Because you were not near, I would not smile. And from a score of joys refused to borrow One ray of light, to gild the weary while

But all the blessing God has given, scorning,I wept because we were so far apart,And spent my time in idle, aimless mourning,That only kept the grief fresh in my heart.

God pity me! Know now we were nearer,With all these intervening smiles of space,That life was sweeter, and the future dearer,That when to-day I met you, face to face!

God meant to break it gently, ease my anguish,But I rebelled, and caviled at His will.Now, seeing His great wisdom, though I lauguish,In bitter pain, I trust His mercy still.

No comments: